Accessibility statement for Statistics Finland's stat.fi website
Statistics Finland aims to guarantee the accessibility of its web services in accordance with the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019).
This accessibility statement applies to Statistics Finland's stat.fi website. Separate statements have been made on Statistics Finland's other web services.
We have assessed the accessibility of the service ourselves. The main and most used pages have been examined in the assessment.
The accessibility statement was prepared on 14 September 2020 and it was updated on 5 March 2021.
How accessible are the web pages?
The stat.fi website is partially compliant with the A and AA level accessibility criteria required by law (WCAG criteria 2.1). The accessibility deficiencies on the website are described in more detail in this statement.
If you need such content that you cannot use because of deficiencies in accessibility, please contact Statistics Finland's information services. Email address of information services is email@example.com and telephone number +358 29 551 2220.
Why are there accessibility deficiencies in the service?
Statistics Finland's current website is very extensive and has been built using several different systems. The website contains content starting from the 1990s and has hundreds of thousands of pages. We are currently building a new website and, at the same time, we are renewing many of our systems. The aim was to publish part of the new website at the beginning of 2021, but the publishing of the new website section is postponed. We aim to make the new website accessible.
At the same time as we are building a new website and renewing our systems, we are not able to correct all the shortcomings of our old website due to the large volumes of data and the lack of cost-effective and automated methods, but the correction would impose a disproportionate burden. In assessing the disproportionate burden we have taken into account the needs of people with disabilities to use our web services. (Act on the Provision of Digital Services, Section 8).
Statistical releases are regulated by quality criteria. Once the release has been made, no content changes must be made to it without informing about the changes. Our statistical releases form an archive that is continuously accumulated and in which the releases are in the format they were published on a certain day. Some of the accessibility corrections would require changing the content. Such a change would be, for example, adding text alternatives to graphs. In addition, the oldest releases have been produced with such publishing software that are no longer available. For this reason we cannot make changes afterwards to the releases.
Our website also has content that is not covered by the Act on the Provision of Digital Services due to release time limits or content limitations (Sections 3 and 17 of the Act on the Provision of Digital Services). Such content includes
- Videos published before 23 September 2020
- Content archived before 23 September 2019
- Files published before 23 September 2018
- Map services not meant for navigation
- Content produced by a third party that Statistics Finland has not produced or financed and the production of which has not been supervised by Statistics Finland.
What deficiencies in accessibility does the stat.fi website have?
- Not all images on the website have text alternatives or the text alternatives are incomplete. In particular, the content of graphs related to statistical releases is not described in the text alternatives of the graphs. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- The website has videos that do not have subtitling and do not have an audio description or script. The requirements of the Act do not apply to videos published before 23 September 2020. Audio description is also missing from videos published after that. (WCAG 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.5)
- There are shortcomings in the headings of the pages. For some pages the heading levels have not been used or they have not been used hierarchically correctly. Especially in tables the notations of column and row headings are missing. In the files on the pages the content structures have been marked deficiently. The requirements of the Act do not apply to files published before 23 September 2018. There are also deficiencies in newer files than this. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- Some PDF files have deficiencies in reading sequence affecting meaning especially in graphs. The requirements of the Act do not apply to files published before 23 September 2018. There are also deficiencies in newer files than this. (WCAG 1.3.2)
- Corrections made to statistical releases are reported only in red colour. A few instruction videos describe the use of Statistics Finland's website by referring only to directions. Only colour is used in statistical graphs for conveying information. (WCAG 1.3.3, 1.4.1)
- In some pictures originating from international organisations the text is shown as figures and colour contrasts between the text and background are not sufficient. The requirements of the Act do not apply to such content of a third party. (WCAG 1.4.3, 1.4.5)
- In statistical graphs, the contrast of all adjacent colours is not sufficient. (WCAG 1.4.11)
- In some interactive visualisations, moving the pointer over an element triggers more content to become visible that cannot be hidden or shown. (WCAG 1.4.13)
- The calendar menu of the release calendar cannot be used with the keyboard. However, dates can be entered in the search box. (WCAG 2.1.1)
- The website data collection section is missing a transition link that bypasses blocks. (WCAG 2.4.1)
- The titles are in good order in most parts of the website, but at places the titles do not describe the content sufficiently. (WCAG 2.4.2)
- Accompanying letters for data collections are available on the web pages as PDF files. Swedish and English language files are marked as Finnish. There are also deficient language markings in other files. (WCAG 3.1.1)
- The website has pages that contain sections in different languages without the different languages being marked in a way that is understood by assistive devices. For example, links referring to international materials are often in English and there are some expressions in Finnish on Swedish-language pages. (WCAG 3.1.2)
- Elements on the website that implement the same functionality are not consistently marked. (WCAG 3.2.4)
- The website code contains shortcomings and errors. Some errors may make it difficult to use or prevent using some pages with assistive devices. (WCAG 4.1.1, 4.1.2)
Due to the extent of the website, not all pages have been assessed and other deficiencies in accessibility may be found there.
We have corrected the major shortcomings and will continue to do so. Not all of the problems will be corrected on the current pages, but we are developing an entirely new, accessible website.
Did you notice any other deficiencies in accessibility?
If you notice any deficiencies in the stat.fi web service that are not listed on this page, please let us know about it. We will do our best to correct the deficiencies.
We will respond to your feedback as soon as possible or within two weeks at the latest.
Accessibility supervision at the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
If you notice accessibility problems on the website, start by giving feedback to us, that is, the website administrator. It may take up to 14 days before you receive a response.
If you are not satisfied with the response from us or if you do not receive any response within two weeks, you may file a report with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland. The agency website has detailed instructions (in Finnish and Swedish only) on how to file a complaint and how the issue will be processed.
Supervision authority’s contact information
Southern Finland Regional State Administrative Agency
Supervision unit of accessibility
Saavutettavuusvaatimukset web service (in Finnish and Swedish only)
Tel. switchboard +358 295 016 000